Jan 26, 2010

New day today?

Last few weeks have been quite tense for my little country. We are at the edge of change and many feel that today there will be an opportunity to bring about a difference. Most of the people I know have been, on the one hand, excited, and on the other hand, apathetic for what lies ahead this morning.

Yesterday was one of the most anticipated elections and, as I write, thousands of votes casted are being counted. Come morning, we will know who the winner is. We had two candidates; both played a big hand in bringing an end to war, an end to mindless terrorism. At what cost? some might ask but others are more than a bit grateful that the days of uncertainty and loss are finally over. And what now? The war is finally over but can we forget the sacrifice, the suffering and the silent cries? some might still ask but others see that post elections, what matters is what lies ahead. Its time to let go of the past.

Voting can be a double edged sword. We had two candidates, many promises and many more agendas. Whom have we decided was better; for governing our people, for ensuring development and for bringing about lasting peace? Have we chosen the right person? Will our choices bring about a positive change? Will our choices make a small amount of difference, if at all?

I've been thinking of my choices for some days now but little did I realise it was all in vain. I never got to cast my vote, my name not being in the "list" and many others like me never got to exercise their right. This affected me much more than I realised.

In a few hours, a leader will be named. There will be many people celebrating victory as well as many others enduring defeat and all I can do is wonder if we will ever see that change we keep talking about. Will there ever be a new day? I don't know.

2 comments:

Wanderlust said...

Mike testing.. wone two.. three

Wanderlust said...

Finally finally... so anyway.. looks like we are all waiting!